Banaras, A Mystic Love Story

Banaras is not a destination its a journey of our lives. If you go to watch this movie for a ready-made solution or only to "kill" two hours, you may get disappointed. Banaras is aimed to create a thirst for something one is generally uncomfortable to explore.

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Seed, the plant and Soham


The Seed, the plant and Soham

In the movie Banaras the seed as a character appeared fairly early. It came because of my spontaneous relationship with plants. Being one of the most meditative, peaceful and nonjudgmental beings on the planet they have always fascinated me.

Try looking at the leaves, flowers and the petals, their delicate patterns, unbelievable shades of colors and incredible designs. It has ability to transport us to a completely different dimension.


I used to have a very small garden (some selected plants in my balcony, really) when I used to live in Mumbai. These were plants that I would choose by visiting a few nurseries in the suburb.

One day I brought a plant with no leaves. I have no reason why I selected this plant except, that I felt, it needed my attention.


I would personally water the plant regularly feed it with some “growth tablets” and give a lot of attention without any “intention” really. It was like feeding a child without any anticipation.

One evening when I came back from office, my happiness had no bounds. Two little green leaves were breaking away from its delicate stem skin.
Three days later many leaves had come out and the whole plant had come alive. The plant in this state seemed to be radiating life. When I sat on a chair next to it, I transcended the boundary around the plant and could feel its “being”. In that moment, filled with complete joy, overwhelmed, I got up and kissed the plant.

A divine connection.

Two days later the plant dried up.

I shuddered. An inner voice emerged: ".......The plant achieved its purpose. It no longer needed to be in life….. The kiss was its destiny."



Babaji hands over a divine seed (every seed that you see is divine) to Soham and tells him that it had the potential to flower and become a tree. Soham is in unison with the plant.

After the enlightenment, soham has understood the nature and interconnectedness of all beings. He knows that the plant itself was a manifestation of him. Therefore when he sees his own death approaching, Soham gives another manifestation of himself (the plant) to Shwetambari.

The plant continues to be with Shwetambari as a passive reminder of Soham (Since she is very afraid and unsure of what had happened) until she is reveled upon the truth about Babaji, and therefore the plant.

When Dr Bhattacharya directly attacks the existence of the plant and ridicules its true nature of being (…..“The one who died hundreds of year’s ego don’t come and distribute seeds, even if that place is Banaras”….)

Notice, in the film, when Shwetambari goes to play the piano after telling Dr Bhattacharya to go and seek the answers, camera has the “blazed” plant in the foreground when dazed Dr Bhattacharya walks out of her room.

In that moment, all the separation vanishes as Shwetambari and the plant (therefore Soham) become one and Banaras opens the doors of mysticism for wandering Dr Bhattacharya when he truly becomes a seeker.

3 Comments:

Blogger me2007 said...

humm, so is that why shweta does not need the plant anymore, when she realises that soham is with her always .so the plant dosent appear in the movie again?

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:02:00 PM  
Blogger ashgene said...

I just wonder if there is any meaning associated with the characters name?, i.e what is the significance behind the names, Soham and Swetambari (& others). I could feel the names vibrate something but couldnot find what it is. Possibly this is discussed somehere in the blog so do excuse me if this question is redundant.
Thanks

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home