Banaras, A Mystic Love Story

Banaras is not a destination its a journey of our lives. If you go to watch this movie for a ready-made solution or only to "kill" two hours, you may get disappointed. Banaras is aimed to create a thirst for something one is generally uncomfortable to explore.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dialogues with the Viewer.. Contd.

The remaining questions..Recap:

"I understand you come from Banaras and probably grew
up there. . . let me guess. . . your grandfather was a
very disciplined and spiritual being. Perhaps when you
have time . . .

Have you experienced (or been close to it) what Soham
experienced in Saarnath? Is it (enlightenment) a
journey that one can traverse gradually or a state (0
or 1)?
How about "Detachment"? Do you consider it a byproduct
of enlightenment or a separate exercise? Do you come
to US for any reason?"


Well yes, I have been in the vicinity of Banaras since the childhood and it's difficult for a sensitive ( taking the credit :)) mind not to be affected by it.

My grandfather had a very imposing persona. He was full time freedom fighter and gave up politics after the independence of India and refused to participate in the national politics. Though I do remember accompanying him in the public meetings of congress where he would be invited by the minsters etc as an honorable speaker. He didn't encourage us (my whole family) ever to enter politics and never allowed us to take favours from politicians, whom he knew very well. I distictly remember when the MLAs and MPs would come to take is blessings before taking the oath as ministers.

He believed in God in a very strage way. He never worshiped an idol but believed that we were created to accomplish our tasks dutifully to the best of our ability rather than wasting time in reciting God's name. He would often collect the idols from the small temple (which my father had buily for self) and throw them in a pond, saying that my father needed to grow on his own feet rather than walking with a crutch of those idols.

Much later, when my grandfather was no more, I asked my father, as to whether he ever resented his father? His reply really shook me.My father replied that quite the contrary he viewed his father as a saint. This dulity used to puzzle me for a long time. I wondered which was the right path?

Thus began my own investigation into the truth.

Today, as I write this piece my father, grand father and grandmother are no more in their body but in memory and in spirit, they live inside me. They all were noble souls who took very different paths but reached the same destination. My mother is now 92 but still meditates for 2 hours every day and is a follower of Kabir..

Banaras, therefore,is aptly dedicated to my parents and grandparents.

The answers would continue in the next blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home