Banaras, A Mystic Love Story

Banaras is not a destination its a journey of our lives. If you go to watch this movie for a ready-made solution or only to "kill" two hours, you may get disappointed. Banaras is aimed to create a thirst for something one is generally uncomfortable to explore.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Why did we make Banaras the way we did?

Dear Anonymous,

Three weeks back, while on travel, I promised to answer your question, sincerely.
So, first your questions and then my answers.

Anonymous said...

What I haven`t understood?

- Banaras - If the intention was to make a movie which can provoke people to think, why did you put commercial element like songs and dance. Now it is in middle, not fit for commercial consumption nor right for film festivals. Look at Deepa Mehta Water, its running successfully across world...

- If the intention was not commerical, why did you choose commercial actors, rather than actors who excel in realism acting. It could have provided more depth to the movie, isn't it? Urmila as mata doesn't sound right.

- If people has not seen movie (source:www.boxofficeindia.com), why would someone buy a novel? Doesn't it make sense to introduce novel simultaneously or before the movie to generate interest.

- Making movie is a dirty business. Why a person of your caliber and repute go into this line when you have a technology company to run?

Monday, May 22, 2006 2:37:05 PM

Answer

Foremost, let me admit that it was indeed a learning experience for me so I understand that all my appraoches may not have been most optimised.

Secondly, we could not fit the content of the movie in any known genre, so we decided to create one. As I had mentioned before elsewhere in blog, I am never scared to experiment. So you call it my "experiment" to mix the "commercial" and "art" forms together. I believe we actually succeeded in doing that, though, I completely agree with you, that, this did not suit neither the "commercial" nor the "festival" circuits.

To be frank, I had desire to see the idea thatI had in my mind, to be put on celluloid in a manner which was not "boring"; hence a difficult subject in commercial format with known stars.

Regarding its success?.... How does one judge the success of such a film?

There are thousands of people whose lives have been touched by the movie and I believe the message of Banaras will keep spreading though time.

The success of a "temple" is not measured by commercial success, I guess!

Regarding, my IT company, with all the new technologies, it was easy to manage both. My company Nihilent Technologies has continued to expand very successfully and I have no intention to be a permanent "fixture" of the commercial film indstry.

Hope I have answerd your questions.

Kind affections

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The administration, in its statement on would require as many as 3 million among many Iraqis. can be preserved, it added. The couple faith or fear, she says. If it was all

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear sir,

If you are raising a question,
it's not very clear by your statement.

Urge you to expand or elaborate your statement.

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:48:00 PM  
Blogger Uma Maheswari said...

Dear Anonymous,

I don’t know what made you say that movie making is a dirty business. I am not sure if you have ever interacted with a good movie producer or director. How much of involvement and commitment (both intellectual and physical) needs to make one. More over there are some strong movies which often touch the life and soul of many people. I had a similar view as yours till I interacted with few from this field.

And about this movie Banaras, I don’t know why a movie should fit into some category; conveying a spiritual thought is always tricky, I think this movie is a proper blend of many nice aspects, including the good cast, music, picturisation, nice location and nice thought provoking spiritual and philosophical ideas.

Uma

Friday, June 16, 2006 10:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear sir,
I wanted to ask you if there is any other story in your mind ? There has to be a next step?

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home